Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday is the End of My Week

I don't know when the end of the week is supposed to be, but for me, my week is Monday-Sunday lol.

So this week was books 16, 18, 22, 24, and teh last 17 lines of 23. Book 16 is about how Achilles' friend Patroclus dies. I can feel Achilles' pain in this bok. Patroclus wears Achilles' armor to pretend to be him, so that Achilles' could kill man-killing Hector. The only thing Patroclus could not wield was Achilles' spear. Only Achilles could handle such a heavy weapon. I can understand Achilles' rage after his friend was killed. He was out to get Hector, that's for sure.

Book 18 is about the Shield of Achilles. I did not know how much detail went into the making of armor in those days. Hephaestus was the crippled craftsman to make his shield. I love the thorough description of the 9 different sections of Achilles' shield. The earth, sky and sea, the sun, the moon, and the celestial constellations are in the center of the shield. This is like the center of his worldview (like the sun). The two cities, the City at Peace and the City at War, scene was very interesting. In the City at Peace there was a scene of two men quarreling over a murdered family member. Instead of killing each other over it (like the City at War would have done), they decided to have a judge make the final decision. There was also a field being tilled, a king's estate with the harvest being reaped, and a vineyard with people picking the grapes. There was a pasture where some cattle were being violently killed by some lions. And next to that bloody scene was a sheep farm with sheep. My favorite scene was the dance floow, where men and women were dancing. I really enjoy going out and dancing with my friends. I thought the river of ocean was neat, how it surrounded the entire shield, like a protective barrier for his protective armor. I do think it is funny how there is not mention of the gods, since not only is he half-god, but the gods are a big part of this time period.

Book 22 and 24 describe the death of Hector, as wella s how Achilles' shamed him. After killing Hector, Achilles was so filled with rage that he dragged Hector's body from his chariot for 12 days around Troy. He woke up every morning, tied Hector's body to his chariot, dragged him around the walls of Trow, and then went back to his tent to eat breakfast. I cannot believe this continued for 12 days straight. All I can say is wow. What an asshole. I can understand his hurt for his friend, but seriously, that is just low. He should be ashamed of himself. I am glad that he gave Hector's body back to Priam so Hector could have the burial that he deserved. It made me sad to learn that Hector had to die. I knew this before I even got to read that part, but I really liked Hector. He was fighting for his country, his friends, and his family, while Achilles was just in the fight for revenge. He is stupid. I definitely do not like Achilles.

I do hope the other books we read at least have a little bit happier story line, and maybe even a happy ending. I did enjoy thi sbook very much though because it was quite descriptive, like many stories from this time. I have read several different excerpts from The Illiad many different times in high school, and even once freshman year of college. I am glad to have been able to divulge deeper into the meanings behind the words this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment